January 1, 2011

on new year's eve, my white boyfriend, and our new relationship

We are not revolutionaries or freedom fighters or anything like that. We're just dating. He's my boyfriend. And yes, he's white. He never says things like, "You're the first black grrrl I ever dated/kissed/fucked, etc". It's a non-issue. We don't spend hours and hours talking about race and class and gender and how he's a white male and I'm a black female and what that means. We actually spend most of our hours making out, eating, and drinking beer while making out. Our life is simple and quite beautiful.

omfg interracial love is HAWT!! Pictures, Images and Photos

But last night was different. It was our first race talk. I honestly believe that when people are drunk, their real personality comes out. We were at a party, it was a little fun, nothing spectacular, a few of his friends were there, a few strangers. We felt welcome. Of course I was the only black grrrl there. I am the only black grrrl everywhere I go. I don't necessarily like it, but I'm definitely used to it.

african emo,african scene,african scene kid,black scene kid,black emo,black girl snake bites,vivi,pretty scene kid,scene kid,scene kid emo,pretty black girl

A little after midnight, a few more people (the hostess's brother and his wife) stumbled in, drunk and laughing and falling all over themselves. I am not a huge fan of drunk people and so I curled up closer to my boyfriend with my blankie in his lap.

To everyone: "Hey there's a black woman on our couch. How did this happen? This feels like undergrad". Awkward laughter from the other party-goers and then silence. I am trying to figure out what's funny. He stares at me. I stare back. My boyfriend says something to the effect of, "Dude this is my girlfriend".

I wanted to go home. The party wasn't fun anymore and I was tired. And so we decided to leave. I went around the corner to put my boots back on (because we had to take them off when we came in out of respect for the family's culture). I hear the brother say something like, "Hey what was that black girl's name? I want to make some more jokes about her that was so funny". I come back into the living room and look at him. My boyfriend says, "I'd rather you didn't, that's my girlfriend". Nobody else says anything. Not the hostess. Not my boyfriend's friends. Not the guy's wife. Nobody. Nobody says anything. We are left standing alone, fending for ourselves.
love Pictures, Images and Photos
I think that's pretty much how life is.

And so instead of ringing in the new year with laughter and friends and good times, we are alone in his bed talking about race and what our relationship means. If our families will like each other, what people will say, what our response will be, what we will do and say. We have known each other one week. We'd rather be making out or having sex, but we talk and talk and talk and then sleep.

I'd like to say that everything is answered now. That we have everything figured out. But we don't. I'd like to say there were lots of pictures to choose from on photobucket that depicted us, that a black woman and a white man was something that people thought of as "everyday life," that people considered us a "regular heterosexual couple," that people wouldn't stare at us when we kissed. Neither of us wants to answer questions about what it's like to be with someone from a different race. I just want to go places with my boyfriend and be treated with dignity. That's it. It sounds simple. Other people make it complex.

interracial Pictures, Images and Photos

This has everything to do with my feminism. Being a black woman, being considered desirable, finding someone to share my life with, being treated as less than human by pretty much everyone, being thought of as a whore or a video girl, being called a "baby mama," thinking about power structures, being told I am a traitor by black men when they have been dating white women for years, wanting to fit in, being seen as exotic or as a fetish or a prize. Fearing white men, but also fucking them and loving them and meeting their mothers. I am always on the edge. ALWAYS. There is never a time when my guard is down. There are no holidays. This is also part of my feminism.

I'm not really sure why I assumed that people were going to be somehow smarter and less ignorant about race and relationships in the year 2011, but they aren't. Think, love, question, call people out, respond, try not to punch people in the face, leave the party, discuss, move on, keep loving, never stop.

3 comments:

  1. this really
    really
    really
    made me so sad
    i could cry... why is it like this? what have we done to anyone :-(
    i think i may give up on love because it just seems like we're meant to have nothing :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was...really nice, honestly, a bit sad but nice. As a 19 year old who has never dated because all of my life, and I mean all, I have only ever been attracted to white boys/men. I remember in kindergarten my first crush was a gorgeous half white half Colombian boy with amazing emerald green eyes and thick dark hair.
    People have asked me a lot why do I like them so much, and that is not a question I can correctly answer It is not as if I have lived in the suburbs all of my life and have only been surrounded by white people. It is the exact opposite. What I sometimes think is how could I ever get into a relationship with a white person; how could they ever like me?
    I think you are incredibly strong for facing people who question your relationship and I wish someday I would have enough courage as you. I also wish that I did not have to say this or you did not have to write this; it should just be normal for a women like you or a girl like me to date who we want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise you it's not just you. I've never been attracted to black men either and have never dated one. I'd give my life for my family and fellow human being but who I'm attracted to is my own biz, (simplistic but true). It's not the fact that we're attracted to our own race but the confidence to follow you heart scares some people. Just like being gay. This is life but it's none of our fault. :D

      Delete